The Texan Times

The Official Student Newspaper of W. B. Ray High School ~ Established 2018

The Texan Times

The Texan Times

Football season is over…

The Ray football season is over! We are very proud of our team, and, despite a slightly worse record, we are all happy about the performances we got to see them give. Especially as a year for the seniors, whose statistics speak for themselves. Here is information about them:

Pictured (left to right): Darren Mladenka, Jamison Galvan, Kenneth Glover, Brandon Chapa, coach, Bodie Lesly, Ty Charlton, and Justin Pantoja

Starting with our receivers, we begin with Jamison Galvan, who averaged 50.8 yds/game. He has been on the team for several years, and we are glad to see him succeed so emphatically! Bodie Lesly, who has also been on the team for years, averaged 38.1 yds/game! Aiden Navarre had 78 total rushing yards and 13 receiving yards, bringing him to 91 total yards on the season. Unfortunately, he was injured, and only played two games. He is tied for the second-most yds/game on the team, at 45.5. Brandon Chapa, our final senior, averaged 43.1 yds/game through all ten games which he played in. That breaks down into 296 total rushing yards and 135 total receiving yards. Thank you to all of our seniors, who have been so important to the team for years.

By simply looking at our team, nobody could expect us to have a losing record. Unfortunately, injury and tough back-to-back matchups cost our team. Here are the breakdowns of our overall offensive and defensive performances:

Texans Offense National Avg
994 Rushing yds. 1408
1366 Passing yds. 1128
1374 Receiving yds. 1107
2368 All purpose yds. 2715
236.8 All purpose yds/game 251.6
Texans Defense National Avg
8 Interceptions 7
0.8 Ints./game 0.7
10 Passed Defensed 15
13 Caused Fumbles 5
10 Fumble Recoveries 6
81 Fumble Recovery yds. 22
425 Total Tackles 455
42.5 Tackles per game 42.4
19.5 Sacks 13
2 Sacks per game 1.2

Nobody can forget our wins this season! Those who attended August 25’s game will remember how we beat the Laredo Nixon Mustangs, with a score of 48-31. Then, on October 20, we played Richard King High School. We beat them too, with a score of 24-7. Following the next week’s tough loss to Carroll, we recovered and beat Moody on November 3, with a score of 26-21! Way to go football!!

Thank you coaches and players for giving our school the best football program we can currently have. Next year, with all the younger talent that’s come in this year, I am sure Ray will see a neutral or winning record!!!