The Texan Times

The Official Student Newspaper of W. B. Ray High School ~ Established 2018

The Texan Times

The Texan Times

Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Every October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, which is intended to inform the general population of the risks of breast cancer and what can be done to prevent/address it. There are several organizations that are dedicated to promoting breast cancer awareness to assist those affected and educate the public.

History of Breast Cancer Awareness Month
In 1985, Nation Breast Cancer Awareness Month was officially founded. It started as a partnership between the American Cancer Society and Imperial Chemical Industries; and today it involves plenty of charities that are all dedicated to supporting the same goal. The Breast Cancer Research Foundation was founded in 1993 by Evelyn Lauder. This was when the pink ribbon was adopted as the symbol for National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. The color pink is used heavily during this time period by businesses, organizations, sports teams, etc. to show support to the cause.
Importance of Early Detection
Early detection of breast cancer is so important because the likelihood of a cure and survival drop significantly in the early stages. Most women are not aware of the signs of breast cancer and they typically aren’t aware of the problems until it is too late. It is important for women to understand their risks and the early signs, so that they can detect the cancer early on.
Know Your Risk
There are several factors that put people at risk. Breast cancer can be found in both men and women, yet it is far more common in females and that significantly increases your risk. The longer a woman’s body is exposed to hormones the higher your chance of developing cancer. Having a history of breast cancer and/or genetic mutations in the family also can put you at a higher risk of developing breast cancer. There are several things you can do to prevent it, like losing weight, exercising more frequently, reducing exposure to hormones, and reducing alcohol intake.
Supporting Those With Breast Cancer
Throughout the entire year we should be showing our support for those with breast cancer, especially during the month of October. There are several charities and organizations that sponsor events in the name of promoting breast cancer awareness and to also show support for those with breast cancer. An example of these events include marathons. Spreading information about breast cancer can help the population be more educated in the topic. Donating money, your time, and helpful items are great ways to support National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Spreading awareness is one of the most important steps in reducing the number of women that experience breast cancer. Remember that every person that experiences breast cancer has a loved one, so participate in National Breast Cancer Awareness Month and support those in their fight against breast cancer!