The Texan Times

The Official Student Newspaper of W. B. Ray High School ~ Established 2018

The Texan Times

The Texan Times

Pasta Day!

Pasta+Day%21

This is the best holiday for any spaghetti lovers out there! Nearly every country has its own version of this delicious staple, and each version is worth celebrating. Although no one really knows how this holiday came to be, or who made it, we can still enjoy all the pasta it brings us!

Origin
When most people think of pasta, they think of Italian food – my Italian ancestors would be happy. However, pasta has been made of very simple and common ingredients since its creation, making it hard to differentiate between other similar foods. Additionally, it is a common belief that Marco Polo brought pasta from China to Italy, therefore making it a Chinese food. So which is true?
Archaeologists believe that noodles were first produced in central Asia, and then spread westward. Once it reached the Mediterranean, the producing process was refined to use durum wheat, giving it a high gluten content and a long shelf life. Because of these benefits, it became deeply rooted in Italian culture. Additionally, the versatility for vegetables and herbs to grow in Italy led to the development in many different pasta sauces.
Although Spanish settlers were the first to bring pasta to America, it was actually Thomas Jefferson who pushed pasta into popularity. From then, pasta became a staple in the late 19th century when a large group of Italian immigrants relocated to the US.

Recipes!
Spaetzle
I don’t know how to pronounce it, but I do know it is a traditional recipe that originated from the Swabia region in Southern Germany. Give it a try!

Orzo
This is a quick and easy recipe that originates from Greece! There are a whole bunch of different variations to try, but this one seemed very simple and delicious!

Pierogi
This delicious dumpling-like Polish recipe is an easy and delicious meal! Although this one is simple, stuffed with potato and cheese, there are plenty of other variations to try!

Kreplach dumpling
These Jewish dumplings are representative of the nature of Divine judgment. Read more about their symbolism – and how to make them – here!

Soba
While soba doesn’t get as much attention from us westerners as ramen does, it is still a delicious Japanese staple! Learn more and try a simple cold soba recipe here!