The Texan Times

The Official Student Newspaper of W. B. Ray High School ~ Established 2018

The Texan Times

The Texan Times

First Day of School Traditions

The+Ray+High+School+tradition+of+crazy+parking+lot+traffic+on+the+first+day+continues%21+
Leela Bindingnavele
The Ray High School tradition of crazy parking lot traffic on the first day continues!

Yesterday was our first day of school here at ay High School! While we celebrated by meeting new teachers, reconnecting with friends, and relearning the layout of the school, this isn’t the case for all schools. All over the world, people celebrate coming back to school in different ways. In India, the beginning of the school year coincides with the start of monsoon season, so children are often gifted with umbrellas to take to school with them. In Germany, children are gifted a paper or cloth cone filled with school supplies, candy, and small toys. This tradition goes back to the 18th century and marks the change in a child’s status as they begin formal schooling. Finally, in Japan, most children receive a randoseru, or backpack, passed down from other family members. The bags are known for being sturdy and expensive, and typically last students throughout their entire educational careers. No matter where you go in the world, the first day of school is sure to be met with anticipation and excitement. Let’s make this year a great one!

Learn more about first day of school traditions from around the world here!

See last year’s first day of school article here!!