National Library Workers’ Day & Library Appreciation Week

Leela Bindingnavele, Editor-In-Chief

This week is Library Appreciation Week! Tomorrow, April 25, is National Library Workers’ Day, a day dedicated to recognizing the hard work and contributions of library workers across the country.

The library system is an integral part of our education. Providing both social events and education, libraries help all students to grow. Library workers are the backbone of the library system, ensuring that our communities have access to knowledge, resources, and information. They assist patrons in finding the right books, help with research, and provide guidance on how to use library services.

School library workers especially have a great impact on our lives. Specifically in Texas, these librarians have to be very well certified to work in our libraries, requiring at least two years of work experience as a kindergarten-12th grade teacher in a public school, a master’s degree in library science, a completed American Library Association program in library science, and a passed Texas state TExES School Librarian Certification exam. To learn more about library certification in Texas, visit the Texas School Librarian Certification Guide.

Remember to drop by the Ray High School Library and thank our amazing librarians! Happy Library Appreciation Week, and Happy [Early] National Library Workers’ Day!

To learn more about National Library Week, visit the American Library Association.