ACT vs SAT…Which one to take?

Courtesy of stellarscores.com

Ian J. Mintz, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Many Juniors are beginning the process of deciding between the SAT and the ACT. If you are one of these students, don’t panic! You still have plenty of time to decide. Here are some helpful tips to help you figure out if the SAT or the ACT is right for you.

Both tests include Reading, English, and Math sections. However, only the ACT includes a Science section, and only the SAT includes a Math section that does not permit the use of calculators. The SAT questions tend to be more difficult than those on the ACT, but the ACT gives less time on each section. Both tests include optional essays for students to take and send to colleges. If you feel like you are a strong writer, definitely do the essays! It’s just another opportunity to demonstrate your skills to potential colleges.

The graphic accompanying this story from https://www.stellarscores.com/2018/06/01/sat-vs-act-which-test-is-better/ does a good job of summarizing some of the differences between the two tests.

There are free practice tests available on the internet. A good way to make your decision is to take a timed sample test or full test of each. Most students find they have a definite preference for one over the other. Colleges accept both tests equally, and there are concordance tables to equate your ACT score to an SAT score and vice versa.

Talk to seniors and friends who have taken the tests. As always though, make the decision for yourself, and don’t be afraid to retake tests or switch between the two tests if you feel like you need to. Good luck!

The ACT will be offered February 9, April 13, and June 8, 2019. The SAT will be offered March 9, May 4, and June 1, 2019. Be sure to check registration deadlines well in advance of testing dates (4-5 weeks in advance).