Once Upon a Dream

Amanda Hope

The band and color guard are certainly not easy electives. Every morning for months, the band and color guard kids get to school at seven to hone their skills. They march and play their instruments while moving briskly in synchronized formations. They work hard need to be prepared for the performances that they put on during half time at every football game. They also attend competitions that are held throughout the year.

Yes, everyone knows the band and color guard from the pep rallies and the football games. But, most students don’t look at the hard work they put into their competitions. Band and color guard is a year-long activity.  They never stop performing and enhancing our football games, pep rallies, and even our graduation ceremonies. It’s admirable to see all that they do, and we are enviable to see how close the students become to each other, and how fast they thrive in such a supportive environment. However, their accomplishments stretch far beyond the football field. This year was the first year, in many years, that Ray’s own band and Color Guard earned the Sweepstakes award. The Directors and students were proud. They put a lot of hard work into making a 1 in all categories. Category scores are based on a scale of 1 to 5, with 1 being the best score. They band and color guard practiced many hours—before school, after school, and even during class. Whenever they had time, they would practice. They had their minds set on one goal.

“Since the beginning of my freshman year, the band was on a streak of the terrible 2’s in both marching and contest. This year, my junior year, I was luckily chosen to be the clarinet section leader, and the mindset was to practice, practice, and practice! We had to get a 1! Reflecting back to marching season, it was tough and intense. However, all the hard work was worth it after receiving a Division 1!  “I knew this band had the potential to push themselves to the top, and same goes for concert season,” Monica Garcia (11), said.

Making sweepstakes is something’s our band and color guard students have been dreaming about ever since they got into band. That’s what happens at RHS territory—dreams are achieved!